Breakfast Burritos

By Cyndi Malloy

This is my own version of breakfast burritos. They are great for Sunday brunch served with fresh fruit on the side. I started out making them very simply when the kids were young, using just the basic ingredients. As they got older, and liked a greater variety of foods, I began adding more ingredients. I line up all the ingredients in an assembly line, and ask each person what they want in their burrito, making one at a time. I really stuff them and make them BIG! I wrap each burrito in foil, and place it in the waiting warm oven. When all of them are made, out come the warm burritos and we all eat together. Because they are wrapped in foil, they are also great for taking with you on the go. Use your imagination with the ingredients and cater to your own preferences. Most in my family like "The Works!"

This recipe will make approximately 4 large burritos. I would double it for my family when the kids were all home. I generally use about 2 1/2 eggs per burrito.

10 large eggs, scrambled
8-10 pieces bacon, cooked (or substitute sausage)
shredded cheese blend (cheddar/jack or Mexican blend), as much as you want
28 oz bag frozen O'Brien potatoes, cooked per directions on bag
2 ripe avocados, sliced
giant flour tortillas, at least 12 inch diameter

1. Warm tortilla in microwave or on stove top until it is soft and easily bendable without cracking.
2. Lay tortilla on 18" long piece of foil. I start with eggs first, then move down the line of ingredients, layering them. Add avocado last, so it isn't cooked by the hot ingredients.
3. Fold and roll the tortilla burrito style and wrap it in the foil.
4. Place in a slightly warm oven if you are making more than a few burritos. Repeat for each burrito.
Remember, you can customize them. If you plan to leave the burritos in the oven for more than 5-10 minutes, don't add the avocado until after they come out of the oven. Serve with salsa or other hot sauce. Tom and the boys like Cholula sauce on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment